Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ask Petite Chou - Belts

(Badgley Mischka, Venexiana Fall 2007)
"Hi, Ma Petite Chou! Are the over-sized belts still in this fall? I'm seeing lots in the magazines. Some are so over-exaggerated, although do look fantastic on the models. I bought lots of belts throughout the year, but I hardly ever wear them. They fit weird for some reason. What do you think on this whole belt trend?

Melanie"


Melanie, I can totally relate, I have too many belts but I only probably wear three of them on a regular basis. From what I can see the belts are definitely still in. However, I think we saw a bit of over-saturation of belts in the summer. I wanted to shouted at girls that I saw in the mall a few times "you don't HAVE to wear a belt with everything!" I think the belts have taken a much bolder turn this fall, they give new meaning to the "over-sized" and with lots of design details. Just don't go Hulk Hogan with them, as my guy would say. You have to try many different widths to find the right ones to suit your body type. If you have a shorter upper torso, extremely wide ones will make your waist disappear and make you look shorter. Models look great in ones that almost border on corset-style because they have longer and leaner upper torsos. The patent high-shine and bright colors are still the key elements. I really like the idea of pairing one with a voluminous coat. So what do you think? Are you buying more belts? What's the most outrageous belt you bought?

Roberto Cavalli Gold-tone butterfly belt $665

Elegantly Waisted Front Twist BeltElegantly Waisted Front Twist Belt $286 $85.80

Toast Leather Expose Me Lovely BeltToast Leather Expose Me Lovely Belt $225 $157.50

Another Line Triple Buckle Metallic Snake Corset Belt $98

Vivian BeltJulie K Handbags Vivian Belt $165

Alloy's JEWELED BELT $14.50

No comments: