Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Guy's perspective - weird-looking models

I was browsing the fashion websites as usual and looking at some runway pictures. I pointed to a batch of pitures of Gemma Ward, whose look I think is very unique and perfect for runway, for my guy to see. He was like "what a weird-looking model!" I told him that she was one of the hottest runway models at the moment. So my fashionista friends, here's another installment of "Guy's perspective". I can understand that the average guys prefer Victoria Secret models over haute couture models. We all know haute couture is weird too sometimes.

So who's bright idea was it at the turn of millenium that all models should look freakish. Whilst looking over the wife's shoulder while she was smurfing the weeb, I noticed all the models in the pictures she was looking at were hideous. Not like normal ugly-girl hideous,more of a side-show freak hideous. These women look more likely tobleed green and beam up to a mothership than to appeal to any man. Iguess the theory is that plain old gorgeous women like back in the 90s(Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, etc..) are boring and we needsomething different. I guess that's a pretty good indication of how out of touch most high fashion houses really are with the real world. Then again I guess in the formula of effeminate men designing for rich celebrity women doesn't focus much on the standard definition of"beauty." I can't wait for freakish alien models to leave magazines and runaways... at warp speed.

7 comments:

emigre said...

Amen

VieCouture said...

my bf loves Gemma, but his ultimate favorite will always be Alessandra Ambrosio hehe.. this is a very interesting post! =) rock on!

Sophia said...

It's strange...these models are all quite odd looking (Gemma Ward, Lily Cole, Caroline Trentini, Lily Donaldson and such), but their looks somehow grow on you. It's hard to explain, but slowly they become more and more attractive. Sometimes it's nice to stand out uniquely than blend in anonymously with the crowd. Nice post!

Emily said...

I'm ready for the supers to return, myself. The models today look much too young, and almost boyish in their underdevelopment. . . Even if Gemma is 18 or 19, she could pass for 14! That's creepy. Bring back the WOMEN!

S. said...

Smurfing the weeb! Hilarious again, your boyfriend's guest spots must become regular.

I think the odd looking girls are there to be interesting and to make us non-models feel at ease. They are neither Barbie boring nor threatening.

Moi said...

Thanks S! Hehe...he's quite strange. I'll try to feature him regularly.

Rebecca said...

LOL ... I will read your blog forever if you keep posting your husband's opinions.

And somehow my hero is always here looking over my shoulder when I'm reading what yours said. Makes the fashion blogs seem like a more normal environment to him. *smile*