Thursday, April 12, 2007

Michael Kors

I've always been a big fan of Michael Kors. His luxurious, elegant, timeless design is so appealing to so many women with wide ranges of tastes. He always sounds so down-to-earth and funny in interviews, and he talks in such simple terms that you understand his vision easily, unlike some other designers who, dare I say, talk cryptically and leave me go "huh?". He came to Toronto last week and did an interview with Toronto Star. Here are some really interesting quotes.

"I think because I am an only child I was totally indulged," commented Kors, nursing an ice tea in a private shopping suite prior to the lunch. "My mother never said, `you have to eat this.' I don't eat eggs or tuna. I don't drink hot liquids. And I'm always hot so I never wear socks. If I wear socks, I feel choked."

“If I weren’t doing fashion, I would love to produce theatre. We sort of do that when we do our fashion shows. The problem is in theatre production you have to be very conscious of money and I am not. I am good at spending it. Like for fall, I said we need yellow candy-coloured crocodile bags. Because of the minimums, we had to buy 25 yellow crocodile bags. But they are so amazing.”

"Fashion is speeding up so quickly now. Hollywood is shopping online the day after my show. Here in Toronto, you haven’t worn your spring clothes yet but you are fully versed in next fall. That’s why more than ever, it becomes about really knowing yourself and what works for you.”

“Because of changing weather patterns, all the rules are gone. We now see boots in summer and leather for spring. In California, where my family lives, the boys wear tank tops with ski hats.”

“Fashion is a good job for someone who can’t concentrate. It’s fast and of the moment.”

“I sleep five hours a day when I’m working and when I go on vacation, I’m a lazy dog. I’m not like Karl Lagerfeld, who drinks 400 Cokes a day and sleeps two hours a night.”

“Kids today are so sophisticated in how they dress. They have a point of view at 17. And between exercise, surgery and the way we live, adults are staying young. It’s like everyone is 30.”


Read the complete article here.

No comments: