Sunday, April 22, 2007

Varicose veins

I wore a pair of new leggings today. When I took them off, I found a mysterious mark that looked like a bruised blood vessel. For a minute I thought I'd developed a varicose vein! Really freaked me out. I started massaging my leg like crazy. Luckily it started going away.
According to a Q&A in Elle Canada, "Varicose veins can be anything from very small and threadlike to bulging and blue," says Dr. Lisa Kellett of DLK On Avenue (www.dlkonavenue.com). "They ar the result of genetics, giving birth, standing for long periods of time or trauma to the legs. They occur when the valves in the veins fail, causing a backflow of blood. To prevent them -- or to stop them from worsening -- wear compression stockings and do frequent calf raises, both of which put pressure on the legs and stop this backflow. However professional treatments work best. Sclerotherapy uses injections of a vein-irritating substance to close off the veins and lasers are being used to heat up blood vessels to seal them shut."

I have heard about raising your legs and resting them against the wall while lying down works. You have to do it everyday for at least a half hour.


icon
iconNordstrom Compression Trouser Socks
icon $10

Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Airbrush Legs $12.95 can minimize the appearance of varicose veins.

(Source: Elle Canada April issue)

No comments: